2020 PPIHC Testing
The PPIHC will be conducting five Testing days (August 7, 9, 14, 15, and 16) for competitors who have been invited to participate in the 2020 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb. Each Testing day will have a maximum number of participants. Registration will be on a first-come, first-served basis.
Dates and Run Times:
- Friday, August 7, 2020 (5:00-8:30am)
- Sunday, August 9, 2020 (5:00-8:30am)
- Friday, August 14, 2020 (5:00-9:00am)
- Saturday, August 15, 2020 (5:00-9:00am)
- Sunday, August 16, 2020 (5:00-9:00am)
- NOTE: Gates close for highway access at 5:00am all days. NO EXCEPTIONS.
For the Test, the entire course will be open (weather and road conditions permitting) and divided into two sections for the first weekend and three sections for the second weekend. There will be no full course runs on the road on any Testing day. Competitors may sign up for only one section per Testing day.
- August 7 and 9
- Lower Section – Start Line to Glen Cove (Limit – 15 vehicles)
- Upper Section – Glen Cove to the Summit (Limit – 15 vehicles)
- August 14-16
- Lower Section – Start Line to Glen Cove (Limit – 15 vehicles)
- Middle Section – Glen Cove to Devils Playground (Limit – 15 vehicles)
- Upper Section – Devils Playground to Summit (Limit – 15 vehicles)
- All competitors will receive a total of six (6) testing passes (one per competitor and five (5) for additional crew/team members) to allow access through the Gateway during each Testing day. No one will be allowed through the Gateway without a Testing pass. The passes will be mailed to competitors three weeks prior to the test date. It will be the competitor’s responsibility to distribute the passes to the appropriate crew members/team members. Competitors who sign up for both Testing weekends and/or more than one day, will get multiple sets of six passes mailed to them (one set for each day). If there are unique circumstances that require you to have more than five crew members on Pikes Peak – America’s Mountain for the test, please contact PPIHC directly (at least two weeks prior to your testing day) to purchase additional passes. No additional passes will be distributed to teams/competitors within eight (8) business days leading up to the Test day.
- All competitors are bound by the official 2020 PPIHC Rule Book.
- New for 2020: Prior to the first week of testing, all competitors will be mailed a Gran Turismo windshield/helmet visor banner. All competitors/entries will be responsible for the application of the Gran Turismo banner in the specified location before they are able to take a green flag at Testing, Practice/Qualifying or Race Day. Any competitor failing to display the Gran Turismo windshield/helmet visor banner will not be eligible to take a green flag.
- Everyone must sign a waiver before they are allowed through the Gateway (each day). These are included in your testing packet, please bring a signed waiver EVERY DAY you are testing.
- New for 2020: During all PPIHC sanctioned activities, please abide by all PPIHC COVID guidelines, including wearing a face mask or cloth covering at all times unless consistent social distancing of at least 6’ can be maintained, using hand sanitizer frequently and limiting group size gathering to no more that 10 (ten) people.
- Pikes Peak – America’s Mountain Highway Officials will lock the Gateway at 5:00am. No one will be permitted to enter after that time. The Start Line will be shut down at 4:50am. No one will be allowed past the Start Line after that time. It is the competitor’s responsibility to be in their assigned area prior to the Start Line shutdown at 4:50am. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- If you designate a pass to a member of a media organization and/or a marketing team member who would like to take photos or cover Testing from areas outside of your designated pit area, that person must contact the PPIHC to be properly identified. Please have them contact Alex Feeback at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than eight (8) business days before the testing day. No access will be allowed outside of designated areas unless pre-approved by the PPIHC eight (8) days before the testing day.
- Technical inspections will be made for safety requirements only (per the 2020 PPIHC Rule Book). We will not judge as to the legality of each vehicle for the race.
- Competitors assigned to the Upper Section or Middle Section will be allowed through the Gateway at 4:00 am and will have a driver meeting at Glen Cove at 5:00 am.
- Competitors assigned to the Lower Section will be allowed through the Gateway at 4:15 am and will have a driver meeting at the Start Line at 5:00 am.
- No one is permitted to stand, spectate, or view the tests from outside the competitor’s designated pit area and the starting and finishing points of the assigned testing section: Start Line, Glen Cove, and Devils Playground, (subject to change based upon weather), unless approved by PPIHC.
- All vehicles in the test must have a number on both sides of the vehicle (for timing purposes) large enough for course officials and observers to see. If the timers cannot see your number, you will not receive a time.
- There will be no duplicate numbers allowed for any 2020 competitors during the 2020 test.
- There are no guaranteed Testing refunds. Refunds will be issued automatically only if a competitor does not receive an invitation to participate in the race.
- There will be no changes allowed to competitors, vehicles, or the Testing list, five (5) business days before the Test day.
- No waitlisted individuals will be added to any Testing sessions within five (5) days of the Test date.
- Unsanctioned closed-course testing on Pikes Peak – America’s Mountain thirteen (13) days before Race Day is prohibited.
- The owner of each designated Testing slot (to be determined when registering) is the only person allowed to withdraw and/or request changes to the vehicle/competitor for that slot.
- Owners/Competitors cannot give or trade their Testing spot to other Owners/Competitors.
- No substitute drivers will be allowed to participate in the Testing days. Only the registered driver may participate in the test.
- Pikes Peak – America’s Mountain is now a NO SMOKING campus from the Gateway to the Summit. This includes all pit areas, spectator viewing areas, and while on the Pikes Peak Highway. All employees, contracted employees, special event participants, and officials are prohibited from smoking any cigarette, pipe, cigar, or electronic smoking device on the property unless a designated area is provided. Smoking any of the above is allowable in personal vehicles only; however, all ashes, butts, etc. must remain in the car. Furthermore, Pikes Peak – America’s Mountain is federally owned property and possession of marijuana is prohibited.
|August 7, 9 Testing Days||August 14/15/16 Testing Days|
|Testing Registration Deadline
(if not sold out)
|July 10, 5:00pm MST||July 12, 5:00pm MST|
|Deadline for requesting access outside of designated areas||July 29, 5:00pm MST
|August 5, 5:00pm MST
|Deadline for requesting additional passes to be distributed||July 29, 5:00pm MST
|August 5, 5:00pm MST
|Deadline for changes to the testing list||August 3, 5:00pm MST||August 7, 5:00pm MST|
|Final testing list sent to timing/scoring||August 4, 5:00pm MST||August 11, 5:00pm MST|
Testing Day Pit Requirements:
- No motor homes allowed for competitors or crew members.
- Maximum combined length of tow/support vehicle and trailer is 60 feet. Each entry will be limited to one (1) support vehicle during all testing days. No additional vehicles will be allowed without prior approval.
Testing Procedures (subject to change):
- There will be two short warm-up runs at the beginning of each day. The Lower Section warm-up run will begin at the Start Line and end at Brown Bush. The Upper Section warm-up run will begin at Glen Cove and end at Bottomless Pit.
- The third run will be the entire length of the section. The Lower Section run will begin at the Start Line and end at the straightaway below Glen Cove. The Upper Section run will begin at Glen Cove and end at the Summit.
NOTE: For all competitors, the pits will not move.
- Green Light/Flag = Start
- Red Flag = Stop Immediately
- Red/Checker = End of the run, proceed to the second red flag at reduced speeds
- Breakdowns or incidents will be moved to a safe location until the completion of that set of runs or until the end of the Testing day.
- Upper Section and Middle Section participants will not be permitted to travel down through the Lower Section until the conclusion of the Testing day, regardless of any incidents that may have ended a competitor’s Test day early.
- The two-minute rule will be enforced. A running clock will start after each vehicle has left the starting area and begun a test run. If another run-ready vehicle is not presented at the designated starting area within two minutes, that set of runs will be considered complete and the section’s head official will signal for vehicles to return from the finish area to the pits.
- Commercial filming (stills or video) without consent from the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb is prohibited.